About the Job
- Altoona Walmart - 5:30 a.m.
- Ankeny Walmart - 5:30 a.m.
- South Side - Walmart on SE 14th - 5:30 a.m.
- West Side - Walmart at I-235 & 73rd Street (1001 73rd St.) - 5:30 a.m.
6:30AM - 2PM / 2PM - 8:30PM - Return time will be around 3PM and 9:30PM. (assuming a 45 minutes - 1 hour 15 minutes bus ride home - this will change so don't tell your parents to pick you up at 3:00 or 9:30 every day. You'll need to call them on the bus when we're heading home.) All shifts are approximate and subject to change depending on weather conditions and/or available work. Work will continue rain or shine and in the event of lightening, workers will wait on the bus. All rain delays are payed at minimum wage. Please check website every night after 6 PM to check for next day's assignments.
Work begins when you enter the field. All breaks will be paid. Lunch is not paid. Fields are located in the Dallas Center and Adel areas. Transportation to and from the fields is provided but not required. Workers may drive themselves to the plant. Recommended attire includes shorts, t-shirts and rain gear for damp mornings - DRESS IN LAYERS ! Do not wear jeans or dark colored clothes because this will increase the risk of heat stress or possible stroke. High-top shoes are strongly recommended. Workers may want to bring extra clothing and sun protection. Bring plenty of food and water for your shift. Phones and iPods are allowed for your enjoyment. It is highly recommended that you do not bring cell phones or jewelry into the fields, as they are easily lost and almost impossible to find. No smoking allowed. You must be 14 years old or older to work. All paperwork must be completed before you can begin working. Borst Detasseling is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Engaging in the following activities can result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal:
- - Not wearing safety glasses, hat, or gloves in the field
- - Insubordination
- - Under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- - Stealing
- - Fighting or causing problems at the pick-up site
- - Unfinished work i.e. not pulling tassels
- - Verbal or sexual harassment
- - Vandalizing
- 1st offense: Verbal Warning 2nd offense: Suspension 3rd offense: Termination
- Some actions may result in immediate termination.
If any injury/illness occurs during work, please inform your checker immediately. Checkers will then report this to the supervisor who will inform Jeff. If injury/illness is noticed after work hours, please call Jeff to inform him. Examples are rash, twisted ankle, cuts, heat exhaustion, etc. Prior to leaving the fields, the supervisor will check with all detasselers to ensure everyone is free of injury/illness.
Your children will be responsible for their ride to and from the pickup destination. Please be advised of the reasons for termination. We expect full cooperation from your child due to the great number of kids present. We are looking forward to working with your child and anticipate a great time in the fields. Please call Jeff or your childs supervisor if you have any questions.